Friday, March 17, 2017

Hubble Constant: Data!

Hello everyone.

I hope everyone enjoyed their break. I know I had a nice time escaping the work for a week. Now, I am back to completing my project.

This week has been the week where I have begun to compile all the data needed for determining the Hubble Constant. All the work I have done before this week has been such a help because with all the numbers I have looked at, I am now able to determine what data I actually need.

I am using most of my data from a source called "sne.space". This website is an open supernova catalog, meaning that most, if not all, supernovae data has been logged here. I am able to look at it's redshift, and most importantly, their absolute and apparent magnitudes. Knowing the magnitudes is a great help when it comes to finding the distance to an object. So far, I have taken data from around 15 supernovae. If I am doing the calculations correctly, I am reaching a Hubble Constant value of 67.1 km/s/Mpc. Considering that the astronomers get values around 70 km/s/Mpc, I'm pretty happy with what I have done so far.

I sent the data I had to the professor, just to make sure I was doing it correctly, and he replied that I had been doing it right. He did mention that he wanted me to try to find the distance in a different way, a standardization of supernovae type IIb. Supernovae type II are explosions of massive stars, much larger than ours. Most people use type Ia supernovae (the explosion of white dwarf stars) because of their brightness. They have been dubbed "standard candles". Because they are standard candles, they all have magnitudes (brightness) of 19.3. Not many people have considered type II supernovae "standard candles", so he wants me to standardize type II supernovae. I'll need to find a magnitude consistent for all supernovae type IIb. In my view, it's pretty complicated, but I'll figure it out with the help of my advisor.

I think this will be an interesting next step for my project. It's a way to determine the Hubble Constant with the standard candle method. Because I'm not too familiar with this method, I am currently reading two papers that deal with the standardization of supernovae type IIb. Once I finish them, I should have a good idea of what I'll need to do to complete the task.

Thanks for reading!!





3 comments:

  1. This sounds like some really interesting work! I'm glad to hear you finally got some data to work with and that your approximation of the Hubble Constant is so close to the astronomers' typical approximation. Keep up the good work and good luck with those papers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear that you have some data to work with now! Good luck, and I hope you continue to stay on this path to finding the right calculations--seems that you're very close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person that has no knowledge of astronomy, thank you for taking the time to explain every term! I'm glad you are on the right track and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete